500 g yam
500 g curd
1 cup coconut
2 t red chilli powder
1/4 t turmeric powder
1/4 t cumin seeds
salt to taste
1/4 t pepper corns
1/4 t mustard seeds
1/4 t fenugreek seeds
2-3 red chiill whole
few curry leaves
- Peel and wash the yam and cut in to pieces of 1or 2 inch
- Put in the water and add 3 t curd and salt soak for some time
- Remove the yam and mix yam piece with red chilli powder,3-4 pinch of turmeric powder,salt,and sufficent water to cook these piece fairly dry .
- Mix the coconut , pepper corns,few pinch of turmeric,and cumin seeds grind them together to a very fine paste.
- Well beaten the curd .keep aside.
- Chopped the onion finely.
- When the yam cooked add the ground coconute paste,well beaten curd.and salt to taste .stir and keep on slow heat until the the yam mixer thicken.
- Heat oil add mustardseeds when they crakling add fenugreek seeds .when they pop up add red chiil whole ,chopped onion till it get brown in colour and add curry leaves.pour over the cooked yam (Kalan)
- Serve hot garnish with coriander leaves or curry leaves.