100 g Arhar dal.
25 G Moong dal
250 g small madras onion or(young small onion)
20 g Tamarind
1/4 t Mustard seeds
2 Red chilli whole
2-3 Pinch of asafoetide
1/4 t Turmeric powder
1/2 t Sambar powder
salt to taste
- Pick and wash the arhardal and moongdal .
- Peel the onion skin.(soak in a water and then peel the skin .you have not have a eye burning)
- Add 3-4 cup water,salt,turmeric powder,hing. and cook the dal in a pressure cooker
- After 2 whistle simmer at 5 -7 minutes till the dal is soften
- Cool and remove the dal add 1 cup water mash well .
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and extract tamarind juice.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds when they crackling add jeera,hing,2 whole red chilli .curry leaves and baby onion and add little salt ,fry for few minutes. add the sambar powder and tamarind juice.add the dal water bringing to boil the sambar .when the onion cooked tender add remain dal if need add some water .Bring to boil.Continue cooking for 5-8 minutes the sambar get thick .Simmer for anther few minutes.Serve hot garnish with coriander leaves.