4 cup rice (boiled rice,idli rice,Par boiled rice)
1 cup washed urad dal
1 tsp salt
- Wash and soak rice and dal separately for 8-10 hours or over night.
- Grind the dal to a thick fluffy batter (use water little by little ) with sufficient cold water.and grind rice also in to paste (not fine paste).
- Mix the two batter ,add salt and beat well with hand to a thick batter.
- Keep to ferment overnight for 8-10 hours .the batter should double in volume .so keep in to a big vassal.
- Grease the idle moulds and spoon the batter into them .steam for 5 minutes or till done.open and check or prick with a tooth pick,or spoon hand ,it should come clean.there is no stick or uncooked batter.Remove the moulds and keep on cool.and take out the idle one by one.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
IF YOU HAVE NOT IDLE RICE USE NORMAL RICE, BEFOR ROASED THE RICE AND SOAK.
OR STEAM THE RICE WITH OUT WATER (5 MINUTES)AND SOAKED IN TO THE WATER.
USE 3 CUP RICE AND 1 CUP URAD DAL.