1 cup rice
1/2 cup Arhar dal
1 t channa dal
1/4 t Fennugreek seeds
1 t coriander seeds
5- 6 red chilli whole
1/4 t Asafoetide
2- 3 t dry coconut
1/4 t mustard seeds
1 small lemon size tamarind
salt to taste
- Peel skin and cut the potato in to large cubes.
- Heat 1 t oil in a pan roast the channa dal,coriander seeds, 2 t arhar dal,1 cinnamon,2 cloves,fenugreek seeds,Asafoetide,and red chiili whole,fry for a few minutes and add the coconutes fry few minutes and grind above the masala powder .
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and Extract tamarind juice in 1/2 cup water .keep aside
- Pick and wash arhar dal and rice .add salt ,turmeric powder and cook with water till rice and dal is soft .Add the chopped potatoes and cook for few minutes till the potato cooked .
- Add the tamarind juice cook for few minutes , when it boiled add the masala powder.simmer the fire and continue cooking in simmer ,cook until well mixed and adjust consistency.when all cooked remove from fire.(add salt if require)
- Heat 2 t ghee in a pan add the muster seeds ,when they start cracking add 1 red chilli whole and pinch of asafoetide and few curry leaves.
- serve hot (pour 1 t ghee )with pappad or vadams.