Tamil-peerkankai,Hindi- Torai,Tel-beera kayi,Other names Turia,Turrel,Heeraikai,Peerkankai,kali tori,and katukoshataki.
Ridge gourd curry
500 g Ridge gourd (Torai)
150 g Moong dal
2-4 red chilli whole
1/2 t jeera
1/2 t mustard seeds
1/4 T urad dal
few curry leaves
1/4 t red chilli powder
1/4 t turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 t fresh coconut
a pinch of hing(asafoetia)
2 t oil
- Wash and peel the skin of Torai(PEERKANKAI) andChop in to very small cubes.
- Soak the Moogdal.
- Chop onion
- Heat oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds when they start crackling,add uradal,hing,jeera ,red chilli ,fry few minutes and add the chopped onion and few curry leaves and add the chopped torai and red chiilli powder. mix well cook for few minutes and add the soaked dal and add turmeric powder and salt .
- add some water, cook for 5-10 minutes till the dal cook.
- Check the consistency and adjust if necessary adding boiling water and let it simmer .stir frequently.The dal well cooked remove.
- serve garnish with curry leaves and fresh coconuts.
To not throw the skin .you make chutney also
skin of torai and few piece of torai
2- 3 red chilli whole
1 t urad dal 1 small piece tamarind
2-3 t fresh coconut
salt to taste
a pinch of hing
- chop the skin and Torai very small piece
- Heat a pan add 1 t oil and add the urad dal fry for few minutes till golden brown.
- add red chilli whole ,fry few minutes .,add hing ,tamarind and torai fey few minutes .it cook in the oil for few minutes add salt and coconuts.mix well.
- add little water grind this mixture to a fine paste
- heat 1/4 t oil add mustard seeds and urad dal when they pop add few curry leaves add this baghar to the chutney mix well and serve