200 g Rice (1 cup)
Water double the amount for rice by volume
250 g Boneless Mutton or Boneless chicken
2-3 t curds
1 t Jeera(cumin seeds)
1 piece cinnamon
8 - 10 pepper corns
1/2 t khuskhas
3-4 Bay leaves
1 piece ginger
4-5 pinch of saffron
2 t milk
1/2 t turmeric powder
1 t red chilli powder
6 - 8 T fat
2 1/2 t salt or to taste
Clean ,wash and soak the rice. Soak saffron in 1T milk.
- Grate 2 onion.cut 2 onion lenghwise or rings.
- Blanched and chopped tomatoes.
- Roast dry spices(jeera,cinnamon,pepper corns,khuskhas,cloves,black cardamom and 1 bay leaves) on a tawa and grind along with ginger and garlic.
- Take 4 T fat in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the grate onion till golden brown.add ground spice paste and bay leaves and fry a little more.
- Add salt,turmeric powder,red chilli powder,blanched and chopped tomatoes and beaten curd and fry for some more time.
- Add washed and cleaned mutton (or chicken) and fry till fat separates out.
- Add water and cook in a pressure cooker for 10 - 15 minutes.till mutton is cooked. (If it is chicken do not close the cooker lid, cook for open 10 - 15 minutes till the chicken cook tender.
- Open the cooker and if there is too much gravy ,dry the gravy.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan .Add 1T of fat and spread 1/3 rd of cooked boiled rice.Then layer 1/2 the mutton thick gravy and again spread 1/3 rd rice.Layer with the rest of the mutton and finally spread the last layer of rice.Pour 1 T melted fat on top.
- Sprinkle the top with saffron dissolved in milk.Alternately ,keep in moderately hot oven for half an hour.
- Take the chopped lengthwise or rings onion and deep fry the onion to crisp brown colour.
- Serve the Biryani hot garnished with fried onion rings.
1 cup Rice
water double the amount for the rice by volume
1/2 t cumin seeds
2 black cardamom
1-2 cinnamon stick
1 -2 bay leaves
1/2 t salt or to taste
1 T fat
- Clean,wash and soak the rice in water for half an hour.
- Cut the onion thinly sliced
- Heat fat in a heavy bottomed pan,add whole spices(cumin seeds,black cardamom,cloves,cinnamon,and bay leaves) and and thinly sliced onion.fry till the onion is light brown in colour
- Drain the rice (reserving the water )and add to the onions and fry for 3-4 minutes
- Add measured amount of water (use the water in which rice has been soaked ) and salt .bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook covered till the rice is done and the water dries ups.
- serve hot with curry or raita.
THIS IS BASIC PLAIN PULAOS.YOU ADD MIXED VEGETABLE IT VEGETABLE PULAOS,
ADD MUSHROOM MUSHROOM PULAO,
(FRY THE MUSHROOM AND ADD .
ADD FRYED CHICHEN OR MUTTON. MUTTON PULAO AND CHICKEN PULAO.
MAKE A PANNER PULAO .ADD THE PANEER CUBED WHEN THE RICE STARTS BOILING .